You were born to be REAL not perfect!


In her latest blog post, Suzy Glaskie confronts the common issues women in our society face today in terms of self image and our relationship with food…

Do you often find yourself talking about how “good” or “bad” you’ve been in terms of eating? Are you locked in an ongoing battle between what you “should” eat and what you actually feel like eating? Do you tend to opt for extremes of self-deprivation and follow a set regime slavishly – for a while?

You’re far from alone. At this time of year, we’re faced with a slew of “get beach body ready” diets and workout plans. The prospect of wearing swimwear pushes people to set the barre unfeasibly high, embarking on all sorts of extreme diets or swearing to themselves that they will go the gym every day. But then it’s just too hard to keep up, so they end up following a regime 100%, 100%, 100 per… oh, sod it. So it’s back to zero and feelings of failure, guilt and shame. Definitely not a recipe for health or happiness. And when one diet fails, there’s always another to invest your faith in.

The truth that we so often overlook is that human beings are simply just not wired to be perfect.

Counting calories and measuring portions is not only restrictive – it’s soul-destroying. Food is there to be enjoyed, not treated as part of a grim mathematical equation.

Don’t eat this. Don’t eat that. The longer the list you give yourself of things to avoid, the more likely you are to ditch the whole thing and beat a path back to the chocolate biscuits and crisps.

The weight-loss industry is a multi-billion pound sector that feeds off people who are constantly trying to lose weight. They run slick marketing campaigns to push their programmes, produce and promote their heavily processed, additive-laden, nutrient-poor branded diet foods, combined with endless gimmicks and promises… over and over again.

Don’t be swayed by the smiling, slim-line celebrity whose face is on the advert – they’re being paid a small fortune to put their name to the product. Don’t be fooled either by certain companies trying to reinvent themselves by tagging on the marketing buzz words “wellness” and “holistic” to their offer. Beware of lipstick on a pig when it comes to the diet industry.

These diets will leave you starved for real nutrition and ultimately create an internal environment that puts the weight back on. And what’s worse, you’ll revert back to eating the inflammatory foods that made you feel so bad in the first place.

So many people have been brainwashed by the diet industry not to trust their own bodies; instead they’re duly trained to count calories, measure and weigh foods…and weigh themselves obsessively.

The truth is that diets don’t work in the long-term – and the diet industry knows that full well. If everyone experienced lasting weight loss, there would be no one left to sell to. It’s a never-ending merry-go-round.

It’s time to stop chasing perfection and turn the tables on the diet industry. Focus instead on making small, manageable change to your lifestyle that you can sustain, in a bid to get to a place where you eat real, fresh foods 90% of the time and then can actively enjoy whatever you want the remaining 10% of the time – without being plagued with feelings of guilt or fear of failing. Above all, let go of beating yourself up and try treating yourself with a bit of kindness and love.


Holistic Health Coach Suzy Glaskie helps her clients look and feel their best through mindful living and building a healthy relationship with food. For more information and to sign up to her newsletter visit